History of The Practice
Ashwell is situated in North Herts close to the borders with Cambridgeshire and Bedfordshire. Ashwell grew up around the springs which bubble out to form the river Rhee, one of the tributaries of the Cam. At the time of the Domesday Book (1089) it was one of the most important towns in Hertfordshire.
For the last 250 years Ashwell has been largely an agricultural village, although other local industry until the 1950s included brewing at "Fordham's Brewery."
Today the area is still largely agricultural, but many people live in Ashwell and the surrounding villages and work further afield in Cambridge, Stevenage, Welwyn or London. Recently there has been a growing number of small businesses setting up in the area, which enable people to work from home.
There has been a doctor practising medicine in Ashwell for many years. In 1900 Dr Woodforde was the local doctor practising from his home, "Spring House." In 1908 he decided there was too much noise in the High Street and built "Ashwell House", and moved his practice there.
Dr John Moynihan took over in 1934 and worked with his wife Dr Sheila Moynihan. They moved the practice to "Stella House" in the High Street in 1952. In 1965, Dr Fergus Moynihan joined his father and, when Dr Ken Heaton joined in 1972, the practice expanded to include Bassingbourn.
Dr Hoffman joined in 1978, and when Dr Heaton emigrated to Canada in 1980, he was replaced by Dr Coladangelo.
Dr Russell joined in 1987 just before the Ashwell Surgery moved to new premises in Gardiners Lane in 1989.
Dr Coladangelo was replaced by Dr Blake in 1998, Dr Blake retired in 2016.
In 2000, Dr Moynihan retired after 35 years at Ashwell, to be replaced by Dr Jarvis.
Dr Howe became a full time partner in 2009.
Dr Hoffman retired in 2011, after serving his patients for 33 years.
Dr Russell retired from the partnership at the end of March 2016, but has continue to work on a sessional basis one day a week.
Dr Hasham became a partner in 2017.